Seam: July goal

On the last day of June or the first day of July, I finally sat down to see whether I could identify the problem with my sewing machine. I threaded it and sewed a couple lines on a scrap. The stitching looked fine, with no clunking noises as before. I was thankful but puzzled. I oiled the machine according to the manual and will see if it continues to work.

I had already been looking at and dreaming about used machines on Craigslist. I have a Singer 3343C, which was a gift from my parents many years ago. I believe this is an entry-level mechanical model. I haven’t been really excited about this machine. To be fair, it could be that I have not sewn enough to make a good judgment. I have had problems with seams puckering on several different woven fabrics–a mid-weight polyester, lightweight cotton, and light-mid cotton/polyester blend. I have tried adjusting the tension and using different needles without great results. I have taken the machine for servicing and they said the tension was fine. Is the problem user error or machine mechanics?

Anyway, it’s a good thing that it seems to be working, and I’m ready to pronounce some goals for this month. The goals are fairly small: hem a pair of pants, add bra cups to a sundress, and sew a pillow.

P1100704

Advertisements

Seam: Scout Tee

So it’s June, with January long gone. I actually met my January sewing goal, but didn’t take photos until today. You’ll have to believe me on this one!

I made the Scout Tee from Grainline Studio. I cut out a size 10 and sewed it without any modifications. The fabric was purchased from a thrift store and seemed like cotton with a fairly loose weave. I had problems with seams puckering and used both cotton thread and a microtex needle to reduce the problem. I used the Grainline Studio tutorials for sewing a bias neckline and using French seams for all seams.

I am pretty pleased with the result, and have worn it a couple times. I’m not sure about the fit–maybe I need to make a smaller size.

P1100684

P1100650

As for sewing more this year, I started February with good intentions. I decided the goal for February was to modify and mend a few items. I modified two pairs of pants, one linen and one fleece, by narrowing the legs. I replaced the elastic waistband on a pair of long underwear used for kayaking. Replacing the elastic was more difficult than I imagined, and I would be a bit embarrassed to post any pictures! While working on the waistband, my machine started making clunking sounds. Now, I have to figure out what the problem is before any more sewing goals can be made. I guess that will be my goal for this month!

Seam: January goal

It’s a new year and one of my goals for this year is to actually sew things. I have talked about doing so for years. I even managed to make two yoga mat bags and two pillow covers in 2014! Said pillow covers below.

IMAG1172 (2)

To this end, I am declaring a sewing goal for this month. At the end of the month, I want to have a finished Grainline Studio Scout Tee. I have chosen the fabric, and started cutting the pattern. Alright go!

Welcome!

After spending a significant amount of time being inspired by a number of creative blogs, mostly sewing blogs, I’ve decided to start one.  I hope to document my progress in learning DIY skills, starting with sewing and knitting.  Kayaking is another interest which I’ll feature.